A Classroom Full of SMART COOKIES!

February 7, 2012 No Comments

A Classroom Full of SMART COOKIES!

February 7, 2012 No Comments

I’ve been wanting to do a classroom data board for a while now.  I think the students really benefit from knowing exactly where they stand and are motivated to improve their own scores.  I have just been so busy that I’ve never gotten around to it.  I saw the board below on http://elementaryliteracyresources.blogspot.com/ a few days ago and I just haven’t been able to get the idea out of my head.  I pinned it on Pinterest and it moved to the top of my to-do list.

Here’s my version:
I used the large board above my sink.  I figured it was out of the way enough to not be distracting, but was also a good browsing place for students while they’re washing their hands.  I heard somewhere that kids benefit more when you focus on intelligence and not effort, so that’s why I chose Smart Cookies.  Did I make that up?
My board shows students’ monthly progress on our online reading assessment program, Istation.  It also keeps track of students who get 100% on their spelling tests (motivation, I hope!) and where students are at on their memorization of the times table and quizzes.  The board also features how students are doing on each of the district proficiency assessments in reading, math, science and social studies, with a rubric in the middle.
My favorite part of the board is that fact that all the data is done by the students’ numbers, so they know theirs but unless they know other students numbers, they can’t make fun of others or feel like anyone is looking at their scores.  It’s almost anonymous!
Tell me what you think!  Do you have a data board?  Any chance you want to do one?  I’d love to see other boards!

sherylwoods

All posts

No Comments

• Anonymous June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I know that my students all know each others' classroom numbers. Even the kids I had last year STILL know what each others' numbers were (they like to recite the lists to me). On my data wall, I post our class averages for the concepts and have the students' individual data in their personal notebooks. Great layout for the board, though!

• Anonymous June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I would just caution that EFFORT is actually more important to emphasize that intelligence. There is a lot of great info on that – and the danger of praising kids for being "smart." Here's some valuable info from Carol Dweck

• Amy Seiber June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I have been wanting to do a data wall as well. I love your blog! I'm your newest follower. Stop by my blog when you get a chance.
    mrsseiber.blogspot.com

• NCottone June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I love your Data Wall! I have been searching and searching to get as many ideas as possible to make my own. I love your "Smart Cookies" title, thanks for sharing!

• Ms. Boyd June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

Thanks for your comment, LaRae! The data wall was fairly easy to keep up – the word wizards section was updated each week after spelling tests were graded and math masters after each multiplication quiz (2x per week). I usually updated the word wizard section myself and allowed each student to fill in the next square on their own as they passed their next set of multiplication facts. I split my class with another for math, so I only had 12 students.

As far as their reading progress, it was updated each month when the were re-assessed on iStation, the online reading program we use to monitor progress.

All three of those parts really motivated my students to do better. They wanted to beat their previous scores!

The district proficiency tests were the hardest to update since they were more random and sparse throughout the year. The goal was to update these as they came up, but I often didn't get around to it or forgot about it completely. It didn't really track progress and was really more for us as teachers to understand where our classes stood in relation to the rest of the school, district and so on. The students had a hard time understanding it and it didn't really motivate them to do better. Maybe next year I'll be more dedicated to it – or forget about it completely.

Good luck on your data wall!

• Lauren LaRae June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I just found your blog and I am planning on doing a Data Wall next year. Do you have any tips on the upkeep and progress of it???

Thanks!
    LaRae H.

Join the #TeacherLadyKY tribe!

About Me

About Me

Hi! My name is Sheryl and I am so thankful you've found your way to the TeacherLadyKY blog! I'm an elementary educator from Louisville, Kentucky who is passionate about building relationships and literacy skills with my students. I've taught everything from kindergarten to fifth grade and I can't wait to share my experiences with you! Enjoy! Read More

Instagram

• Puppy noses and happy smiles are my favorite.
#dogsofinstagram #dogstagram #crow #dogwalk #retriever #retrievers #retrieversofinstagram
    • Wake up and be awesome today. Make it happen.
#teachersofinstagram #motivationalquotes #mondaymotivation #monday #mondayquotes #mondaymood #fitgirldiary
    • Not going to lie, I had a self-hatred moment this morning. I haven’t been to the gym in ages and I keep putting it off because, what’s another day, right?  So, so wrong.

I hated how I looked in the mirror this morning. I hated how there were rolls where there shouldn’t be and dimples in places there should be no dimples. I literally wanted to throw up. Is that normal? Probably not. It’s not healthy, for sure, but it’s something most women go through.

Why?

But then, friends, I put on my face and opened the windows and felt that wet hair-fresh mind-sunshine kind of feeling and I felt better. Not 100%, but better.

I’m going to the gym today. Or at least walking the dog around the neighborhood. I’ll keep you posted.
    • He’s my favorite person to do stuff with.
    • Project based learning in progress. These kiddos came up with their own business plan to serve the community. They created missions, visions, slogans, and logos. Now they’re building their businesses. I can’t wait to see them finished!
#teachersofinstagram #teachersofog #iteachtoo #iteachfifth #fifthgrade #pbl #projectbasedlearning #business #communities
    • It's been a busy (and really weird) couple of weeks. Things have been messy, jumbled, cancelled, redone, and just over all insane. It's always nice to start a new week: clean, fresh, and organized.

I've been trying new weekly layouts each week of March this far... I'll let you know which one I liked best at the end.  This week's is more open, but still horizontal. Maybe a vertical layout next week? Stay tuned... #bujodaily #bujolayout #bujoideas #bujoinspiration #bujo #bulletjournal #bulletjournaling #bulletjournals #marchbulletjournal #march #cactus #cacti #succulents #freshweek #saturday #sunday
    • I attended #ECET2Bardstown this weekend and was in awe of how BEAUTIFUL Thomas Nelson High School is. The inspiration and empowerment run rapid at this place and you can feel it in every corner. #SchoolGoals #goodmojo
#teacherbsn #teachersofinstagram #teaxhertribe #schoolleadership #schoolsleaders #blbs
    • Finally.... My March bullet journal! It was hard to choose a theme, but I grabbed some inspiration from @amandarachlee's 2018 (2017?) March spread. I love it so far! Swipe to see my first weekly spread  and flip through of my monthly calendar, habit tracker, and mood tracker. Do you approve of my cacti/succulent theme, @jmeier205?
What's your March spread look like? I'd love to see them!
#bujoideas #bujoinspiration #march #marchbulletjournal #marchbujo #bujo #bujoweeklyspread #bujodaily #bujolayout #art #doodles #bujodoodles #bulletjournal #bulletjournaling #bulletjournals #planwithme #planning #plannergirls #cactus
    • One of my colleagues shared this with me today. He meant it about my students, but he doesn't realize how much it resonated with me personally.
It's no secret I've been broken lately. It's felt like destruction, but I'm slowly breaking the surface and recognizing the growth and potential that like ahead.
#teacherbsn #teacherladyky #teachersofinstagram #teachertribe #ecet2 #growth

Twitter

Blog Archive

Credits

The TeacherLadyKY blog header and logo were designed by Sheryl, using fonts from A Primary Kind of Life and Brittney Murphy Design.  Clip art is courtesy of Irina Bandyk, whose Etsy shop is WatercolorCliparts.  The blog theme used is Emilia by Georgia Lou Studios.

×