A Classroom Full of SMART COOKIES!

February 7, 2012 No Comments

A Classroom Full of SMART COOKIES!

February 7, 2012 No Comments

I’ve been wanting to do a classroom data board for a while now.  I think the students really benefit from knowing exactly where they stand and are motivated to improve their own scores.  I have just been so busy that I’ve never gotten around to it.  I saw the board below on http://elementaryliteracyresources.blogspot.com/ a few days ago and I just haven’t been able to get the idea out of my head.  I pinned it on Pinterest and it moved to the top of my to-do list.

Here’s my version:
I used the large board above my sink.  I figured it was out of the way enough to not be distracting, but was also a good browsing place for students while they’re washing their hands.  I heard somewhere that kids benefit more when you focus on intelligence and not effort, so that’s why I chose Smart Cookies.  Did I make that up?
My board shows students’ monthly progress on our online reading assessment program, Istation.  It also keeps track of students who get 100% on their spelling tests (motivation, I hope!) and where students are at on their memorization of the times table and quizzes.  The board also features how students are doing on each of the district proficiency assessments in reading, math, science and social studies, with a rubric in the middle.
My favorite part of the board is that fact that all the data is done by the students’ numbers, so they know theirs but unless they know other students numbers, they can’t make fun of others or feel like anyone is looking at their scores.  It’s almost anonymous!
Tell me what you think!  Do you have a data board?  Any chance you want to do one?  I’d love to see other boards!

sherylwoods

All posts

No Comments

• Anonymous June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I know that my students all know each others' classroom numbers. Even the kids I had last year STILL know what each others' numbers were (they like to recite the lists to me). On my data wall, I post our class averages for the concepts and have the students' individual data in their personal notebooks. Great layout for the board, though!

• Anonymous June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I would just caution that EFFORT is actually more important to emphasize that intelligence. There is a lot of great info on that – and the danger of praising kids for being "smart." Here's some valuable info from Carol Dweck

• Amy Seiber June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I have been wanting to do a data wall as well. I love your blog! I'm your newest follower. Stop by my blog when you get a chance.
    mrsseiber.blogspot.com

• NCottone June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I love your Data Wall! I have been searching and searching to get as many ideas as possible to make my own. I love your "Smart Cookies" title, thanks for sharing!

• Ms. Boyd June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

Thanks for your comment, LaRae! The data wall was fairly easy to keep up – the word wizards section was updated each week after spelling tests were graded and math masters after each multiplication quiz (2x per week). I usually updated the word wizard section myself and allowed each student to fill in the next square on their own as they passed their next set of multiplication facts. I split my class with another for math, so I only had 12 students.

As far as their reading progress, it was updated each month when the were re-assessed on iStation, the online reading program we use to monitor progress.

All three of those parts really motivated my students to do better. They wanted to beat their previous scores!

The district proficiency tests were the hardest to update since they were more random and sparse throughout the year. The goal was to update these as they came up, but I often didn't get around to it or forgot about it completely. It didn't really track progress and was really more for us as teachers to understand where our classes stood in relation to the rest of the school, district and so on. The students had a hard time understanding it and it didn't really motivate them to do better. Maybe next year I'll be more dedicated to it – or forget about it completely.

Good luck on your data wall!

• Lauren LaRae June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I just found your blog and I am planning on doing a Data Wall next year. Do you have any tips on the upkeep and progress of it???

Thanks!
    LaRae H.

Join the #TeacherLadyKY tribe!

About Me

About Me

Hi! My name is Sheryl and I am so thankful you've found your way to the TeacherLadyKY blog! I'm an elementary educator from Louisville, Kentucky who is passionate about building relationships and literacy skills with my students, as well as empowering teachers around me to be leaders and rockstars. I've taught everything from kindergarten to fifth grade and I can't wait to share my experiences with you! Enjoy! Read More

Instagram

• Anyone else read two books at once? I keep switching between the two of these. They both started out slower than I wanted, but are starting to pick up.

Brave, Not Perfect is about learning to combat your inner perfectionist and focusing on being brave instead.  It’s a powerful message that more people need to hear and take to heart, myself included.

Everything All At Once is the story of Lottie, whose very famous writer aunt recently passed away, leaving her with 24 letters that includes directions for accomplishing specific tasks. It’s starting to get really good!

#bookstagram #booksofinsta #bookstagrammer #bookstagramit #bravenotperfect #everythingallatonce #teachersofinstagram #summerreading #summerreadinglist #teachersonsummerbreak
    • Did you know that elephants like to give triceratopses piggy nose rides? *Not to scale.

@ktberry9515
    • Ten years ago, I brought a little hound puppy home from the Kentucky Humane Society after begging my mom for YEARS for a dog. I knew Annabelle was ours the moment she bit my ear.

From there, Annabelle ruled the house. She sat co-pilot in the car. She was the absolute best snuggler. She loved wearing clothes. She could smile bigger than any dog I’ve ever met.
She was also a mess and a half. She stole food from wherever she could get it. She was jealous - of other dogs, of Justin, of my new nieces. She plopped herself in my lap anytime she could to claim her territory, but when she was mad at me, refused to turn her face to look at me.

She was the leader of the pack, the first of four.
Today we had to do the hardest thing I, personally, have ever had to do. Having a dog as an adult is way different than having a dog as a kid. My heart is broken into a million pieces. Mama loves you, Belly girl.
    • I took a trip to the library yesterday and gobbled this one up in a couple of hours. I picked it from the shelf on its name alone and it did not fail to disappoint. Audacious is a novel written in verse from the perspective of a girl who has a knack for pushing the boundaries in every way.

It was a beautiful reminder of the beauty - and the chaos - that comes from walking the unknown, just because you felt like it.

@gsprendergast
#audacious #audaciousbook #bookstagram #bookstagrammers #teachersofinstagram #teachersonsummerbreak #kentuckyteacher #teacherswhoread #youngadultreads #youngadultnovel #youngadultlit #yalit #ya #read #reader #readersofig
    • Summer reading book #2 is finished! This sweet book, the sequel to #therosieproject, failed to hold my attention as well as the first, but was still so perfect. Don is one of my absolute favorite characters, as cringeworthy as he is. I give #therosieeffect 4/5 stars!

Up next on my summer reading list is #bravenotperfect by @reshmasaujani.

#summerreading #summertime #teacherswhoread #teachersonsummerbreak #bookstagram #bookshelf #teachersofinstagram #teachersfollowteachers #stopteacherguilt
    • Come on, Mom... let’s go do something.

It’s my first official day of summer break. I’ve already slept in, written in my #starttodayjournal and read. What else is there to do?

#dogsofinstagram #dogstagram #puppies #pupsofinstagram #dogs #summer #teachersonsummerbreak #teachersummer
    • These teacher leaders are my PEOPLE. I love doing life and leadership with them.

I don’t know if I love this angle quite as much.

#kentuckyteacher #kentuckyteachers #kyteacherleaders #leadership #wearejcps #jcpsdl #jcpsambassador #jcpsforward
    • I needed to read this today.
I’m often frustrated with what I feel is a lack of progress. I feel stuck. I want to move forward faster. I know there is work to be done and it must be done soon - or every child that leaves our schools and our classrooms will be another that we’ve failed.
We DO have work to do. But small steps create big impacts. I can do a little today and, one day, I’ll see those ripples.
#teachersofinstagram #teachersfollowteachers #teachers #theartofcoaching @elena_aguilar_writer #coaching #teacherleadership #teacherleaders
    • Here’s my #toberead stack for the summer. I’ve gotten myself in a great habit of reading every single day - in the morning and at night.  I can’t wait to dig into these! #bookstagram #books #reading

Twitter

Blog Archive

Credits

The TeacherLadyKY blog header and logo were designed by Sheryl, using fonts from A Primary Kind of Life and Brittney Murphy Design.  Clip art is courtesy of Irina Bandyk, whose Etsy shop is WatercolorCliparts.  The blog theme used is Emilia by Georgia Lou Studios.

×