A Classroom Full of SMART COOKIES!

February 7, 2012 No Comments

A Classroom Full of SMART COOKIES!

February 7, 2012 No Comments

I’ve been wanting to do a classroom data board for a while now.  I think the students really benefit from knowing exactly where they stand and are motivated to improve their own scores.  I have just been so busy that I’ve never gotten around to it.  I saw the board below on http://elementaryliteracyresources.blogspot.com/ a few days ago and I just haven’t been able to get the idea out of my head.  I pinned it on Pinterest and it moved to the top of my to-do list.

Here’s my version:
I used the large board above my sink.  I figured it was out of the way enough to not be distracting, but was also a good browsing place for students while they’re washing their hands.  I heard somewhere that kids benefit more when you focus on intelligence and not effort, so that’s why I chose Smart Cookies.  Did I make that up?
My board shows students’ monthly progress on our online reading assessment program, Istation.  It also keeps track of students who get 100% on their spelling tests (motivation, I hope!) and where students are at on their memorization of the times table and quizzes.  The board also features how students are doing on each of the district proficiency assessments in reading, math, science and social studies, with a rubric in the middle.
My favorite part of the board is that fact that all the data is done by the students’ numbers, so they know theirs but unless they know other students numbers, they can’t make fun of others or feel like anyone is looking at their scores.  It’s almost anonymous!
Tell me what you think!  Do you have a data board?  Any chance you want to do one?  I’d love to see other boards!

sherylwoods

All posts

No Comments

• Anonymous June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I know that my students all know each others' classroom numbers. Even the kids I had last year STILL know what each others' numbers were (they like to recite the lists to me). On my data wall, I post our class averages for the concepts and have the students' individual data in their personal notebooks. Great layout for the board, though!

• Anonymous June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I would just caution that EFFORT is actually more important to emphasize that intelligence. There is a lot of great info on that – and the danger of praising kids for being "smart." Here's some valuable info from Carol Dweck

• Amy Seiber June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I have been wanting to do a data wall as well. I love your blog! I'm your newest follower. Stop by my blog when you get a chance.
    mrsseiber.blogspot.com

• NCottone June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I love your Data Wall! I have been searching and searching to get as many ideas as possible to make my own. I love your "Smart Cookies" title, thanks for sharing!

• Ms. Boyd June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

Thanks for your comment, LaRae! The data wall was fairly easy to keep up – the word wizards section was updated each week after spelling tests were graded and math masters after each multiplication quiz (2x per week). I usually updated the word wizard section myself and allowed each student to fill in the next square on their own as they passed their next set of multiplication facts. I split my class with another for math, so I only had 12 students.

As far as their reading progress, it was updated each month when the were re-assessed on iStation, the online reading program we use to monitor progress.

All three of those parts really motivated my students to do better. They wanted to beat their previous scores!

The district proficiency tests were the hardest to update since they were more random and sparse throughout the year. The goal was to update these as they came up, but I often didn't get around to it or forgot about it completely. It didn't really track progress and was really more for us as teachers to understand where our classes stood in relation to the rest of the school, district and so on. The students had a hard time understanding it and it didn't really motivate them to do better. Maybe next year I'll be more dedicated to it – or forget about it completely.

Good luck on your data wall!

• Lauren LaRae June 30, 2017 at 12:16 am

I just found your blog and I am planning on doing a Data Wall next year. Do you have any tips on the upkeep and progress of it???

Thanks!
    LaRae H.

Join the #TeacherLadyKY tribe!

About Me

About Me

Hi! My name is Sheryl and I am so thankful you've found your way to the TeacherLadyKY blog! I'm an elementary educator from Louisville, Kentucky who is passionate about building relationships and literacy skills with my students. I've taught everything from kindergarten to fifth grade and I can't wait to share my experiences with you! Enjoy! Read More

Instagram

• This week's #bulletjournal setup. Usually, I do a day at a time, but after binge watching see @amandarachlee on YouTube this weekend, I thought I'd set it all up at once. One thing I love about my #bujo is that I can do WHATEVER I want, WHENEVER I want to. 😁
#bulletjournals #bulletjournaling #bujoweeklyspread  #bujoideas #bujoinspiration #penguins
    • ⭐ D R E A M E R ⭐
Honestly, there are so many good MLK, Jr. quotes, it was hard to choose just one. Instead of choosing one of his justice-oriented quotes (which are completely relevant at the moment and let's not forget that), I decided to go with this one.
At the end of the day, all you have is your dreams. Don't let someone else take that you. Know what you want and make it manifest in your life.#besavagenotaverage #thebestisyettocome #teacherladyky .
#teacherbsn #teacherblogger #teachersofinstagram  #mlkjrday #martinlutherkingjr #martinluutherkingjrquotes #mlkquotes #mondaymotivation #motivationalmonday #motivationalquotes #dreams #dreamers
    • A couple of nights ago, this sweet boy scared the crap out of us. He couldn't stand and, once he did stand, he just lobbed from side to side like he was unable to hold his balance. Then, as suddenly as it started, it was over. Five minutes at the most. .
It's happened once before, months ago, and the vet who saw him a few hours after it happened said he checked out perfectly healthy. We think it's vertigo, but it happens so suddenly and goes so quickly, that it seems there's nothing we could do to stop it from happening.  I hate that I don't know when it will happen (or if it even will happen again) and I have there's nothing I can do for my sweet boy.
Also, side note, be thankful that you can't smell through Instagram because this boy needs a BATH.
#dogsofinstagram #instagramdogs #teacherladyky
    • I'm working on something for the blog that involves these babies. 😍 If you had told me five years ago that I'd be obsessed with dice, I would have laughed in your face. Oh, how things change.  I mean, how can you not be obsessed with something that comes in so many beautiful colors?
#teachersofinstagram #iteach456 #teacherbsn #teacherlife #roleplayinggames #rpg #dungeonsanddragons #pathfinder #tabletopgames #polyhedraldice #dice #teacherladyky
    • S A T U R D A Y
I've spent my morning doing lesson plans and working on some new TPT products. I have housework to do (so much housework to do), but I love a good laid back, productive Saturday morning and I wish every day could be this way.
What are you doing on this dreary day? And, if you're local, what's your snow prediction? πŸ€”β„οΈπŸ€”β„οΈπŸ€”
#teachersofinstagram #teachersfollowteachers #teacherinstagram #iteachtoo #iteachfifth #iteachfifthgrade #iteach456 #teacherpreneur #thebestisyettocome
    • You are not here to please someone else.  You are not here to fall into someone else's story, play someone else's sidekick, or help someone else achieve their dreams.  This life is YOUR story and it is your purpose to fulfill YOUR own dreams.
If your dream is to serve others, then by all means, go do THAT.  But do not put their needs above your own.  If what is happening in your life doesn't align with the goals that you've set forth in your life, it's time to let it (or them) go.  You only purpose to be the best, most authentic version of you.  First, foremost, and always.
#teachersofinstagram #teachersfollowteachers #thebestisyettocome #besavagenotaverage #youareabadass #jensincero #iteachtoo #quote #quotesofinstagram #instagramquotes #motivationalquotes #motivationmonday
    • *Trying to do report cards*
Crow: But, mom, it's windy outside and I'm scared...
One day, I'm going to be able to stay home and work with him in my lap all day and I can't wait. #BeSavageNotAverage #thebestisyettocome
#dogsofinstagram #instadogs #instadog #teacherlife #teachersofIG #teacherladyky #teacherBSN #teachersfollowteachers #teacherblogger #teacherbloggersellernetwork
    • β€’ G R O W I N G β€’
I spent the majority of the day attending doctor's appointments and listening to Brendon Burchard's book, "High Performance Habits." Like I've mentioned before, I've been stuck lately and the first part of his book is about finding clarity in your life.
I NEEDED to hear him tell the story of one of his clients who was great at what she did, but still felt stuck. It's hard not to feel guilty about admitting that what you're doing isn't what you want, especially when you've poured years of work and thousands of dollars to get there. That's where I'm at right now. I feel restless, unfulfilled, and uninspired.
Let me be clear, I LOVE what I do. I love my job, my students, and my life. But something is off and it's not enough. I've been searching for a long time trying to figure out what it is and I am getting closer.  I AM a teacher, but so much more than that too. I am always learning, always growing, always working on my next great adventure. I hope you are too. #BeSavageNotAverage #thebestisyettocome
#teachersfollowteachers #teachersofinsta #teachersofinstagram #teachersofIG #iteachtoo #iteach456 #highperformancehabits #brendonshow #gogetterspodcast #
    • What a day, y'all. I was expecting my fifth graders to be tired and dragging, but no such luck.  They met me in full force this morning and we went nonstop to 8:50 to 4:00.
Honestly, I enjoyed my break and I was ready to delve into the some personal projects, so I dreaded heading back today.  I've got big goals and dreams for the future, but being with my kiddos was exactly what I needed. I love my job and, more importantly, I love my students. Everything that I do for my business is for students, for the ones currently in my classroom and those that may never sit in classroom.  TeacherLadyKY is about making an impact to change the world and it may be small now, but my dreams are big. Believe that. #BeSavageNotAverage #thebestisyettocome
#teachersofinsta #iteachtoo #iteach456 #iteachfifthgrade #teacherBSN #teacherbsn #teacherladyky #teachertribe #teacherbloggersellernetwork #teacherblogger #teachersofinstagram #teachersfollowteachers

Twitter

Blog Archive

Credits

The TeacherLadyKY blog header and logo were designed by Sheryl, using fonts from A Primary Kind of Life and Brittney Murphy Design.Β  Clip art is courtesy of Irina Bandyk, whose Etsy shop is WatercolorCliparts.Β Β The blog theme used is Emilia by Georgia Lou Studios.

×